Friday, August 19, 2011

Vera & Lee Prepare for Rematch‏

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1yfookY7Oh8/Th2cpsMCdvI/AAAAAAAACo8/k2CH_oTiYno/s1600/brian+vera.jpg
During an international media conference call to promote their upcoming 10 round middlweight fight, contenders Andy Lee and Brian Vera discussed their rematch which is scheduled for October 1st at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ on the undercard of the Sergio Martinez-Darren Barker Middleweight Championship fight. Both Vera and Lee are action fighters at heart and many expect their rematch to be the most entertaining match-up on the card. Vera won their first fight in 2008 by a somewhat controversial TKO in the 7th round in an entertaining upset that saw Lee drop Vera in the first.

A good winning performance in this fight could potentially put either fighter in a position to fight for the Middleweight Championship of the World against Sergio Martinez, who headlines the card.

KO Digest asked Brian Vera (19-5 w/ 12 KOs) if he felt in any way disappointed that he didn't get more mileage out his first big name win, a decision over "Contender" winner Sergio Mora earlier this year.

Vera responded by saying, "You know, a little bit, yes. A lot more things should come out of that. At the time, my management was a little weak, I had somebody that was very inexperienced, and I kinda left everything in his hands. But now I have a new team. I am back to loving what I do and here we are now so I don't worry about it."

KO Digest asked Andy Lee (26-1 w/ 19 KOs) what he will do differently this time against Vera and what it was like to be involved in such a war as the one he was involved in against Craig McEwan earlier this year.

Andy Lee responded by saying, "This time, I see myself boxing and moving more against Vera. But if I have to go to war, I'm coming prepared and I'll go to war. I have shown in the past that I have what it takes to do both. But I plan on boxing Vera and putting on a boxing show."

And your memories of the McEwan fight?

"The McEwan fight was a tough fight. Craig boxed really well, I've never seen him box so well. I started off well and then got kinda involved in trying to bang too much. And he picked up his boxing and eventually took over, the momentum changed, but I showed that I have what it takes to to come back and dig in at the end. That gave me great belief in myself that if I have to do that, no matter how desperate the situation, I have it inside myself, there is no quit in me. I'll keep fighting until the end."

The card, billed as “Noche de Maravilla" will air live from Atlantic City on HBO Championship Boxing.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/677215/martinez_barker_banner.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment