Thursday, October 1, 2009

Roach: Three more fights to go for Pacquiao

After his November 14 clash with World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico, Manny Pacquiao is expected to have two more bouts before he finally calls it quits. “Manny has said three more fights and that’s it,” American trainer Freddie Roach revealed to David Tyler of DoghouseBoxing.com. Roach, the 2008 “Trainer of the Year” awarded by the Boxing Writers Association of America (BWAA), added that he wants to see a showdown between Pacquiao and WBA welterweight super champion Shane Mosley. Pacquiao’s trainer then went on to speak about his ward’s incomparable legacy, saying he believes it would be difficult for fighters to follow the footsteps of the Filipino boxing icon. Pacquiao, the world’s No.1 pound-for-pound fighter, is a six-division world champion. He was the 2008 BWAA “Fighter of the Year” award recipient. “We will not see another Manny Pacquiao for another decade or more,” declared Roach. “Guys like Manny Pacquiao and Muhammad Ali come along once in a lifetime.” Meantime, when asked if he would retire when Pacquiao hangs his boxing gloves, Roach replied: “I will not retire because I just don’t know what I would do. I have been in the boxing business all of my life and I don’t know anything else.” “I just can’t see sitting at home all day so I probably will never retire,” he remarked.

Source: abs-cbnnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment